Monday, July 20, 2009

RIP- Frank McCourt

It saddens me to hear of the loss of the writer Frank McCourt.He is the author of the memoirs Angela's Ashes, 'Tis and Teacher Man.  I remember my friend telling me about reading Angela's Ashes a long time ago. She claimed that she read it when she was in Grade 5. I thought "Man that is graphic for a youngster". I guess her reading skills were advanced because that book was wonderfully enrapturing. As soon as I finished it was on to the 2nd. Here are some notes/quotes I took down while reading 'Tis:

"All colors must have their day in the world."

"After a full belly all is poetry"

"The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."

On Little Red Riding Hood: "If you don't follow the path the way your mother tells you you're gonna meet that big bad wolf and there will be trouble man, trouble, and like how come everyone complains about violence on television and no one says a word about the viciousness of the father and stepmother in Hansel and Gretel. How come?" 

On Humpty Dumpty: "How do we know he is an egg?" 
 
Wise words, Wise man. Wonderful Memoirs. He will be missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment