Sunday, February 7, 2010

Connections

Day 6:
Everyone's connected. You know, the six degrees of separation?
I'm six steps away from Warhol apparently. However, Madonna is only one away from Warhol.

In a recent Rolling Stone interview Madge explain the connection:
"At that time I was hanging around with a lot of graffiti artists, Futura 2000, Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat. Jean-Michel introduced me to Andy Warhol. I remember we were all at a Japanese restaurant on Second Avenue and Seventh Street, where Keith had done a bunch of drawings on the wall, and Jean- Michel was telling me how jealous he was of me being on the radio. Because he thought that I had a more accessible form of art, and more people would be exposed to it. Andy told him to stop complaining."

"Keith and Andy did four pieces fro me as a wedding present when I married Sean (Penn). They're pictures of me from the cover of The New York Post when all the nude photographs of me came out in Playboy and Penthouse. The headline says 'I'm not ashamed'. So they took all the Post covers and painted over them. They're in my house in L.A. - a sign-post, a watershed moment..."


No comments:

Post a Comment