Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Traveling Man



Another man of my dreams
Mr. Brett Detar.
A whiskey soaked gentlemen who creates
country gems that sound like Nashville 40 years ago.
My dad and I have been grooving on his album for a few months now.
Here is a write up from his website:

"Bird In The Tangle is an authentic roots record that takes its listeners on a sweeping journey across coasts and five cities into fleeting highs and empty houses, bleak street lights and closed eyes, the darkest depths of wanderlust and loneliness. Paying homage to the legacy of story-telling found within America’s own art form of country music-- in all its weepy, pedal-steel steeped, Yes-Hank-woulda-done-it-this-way glory-- Brett Detar lays bare his soul in this stunning solo debut. The album documents one of the loneliest and most doubtful times in singer/songwriter Brett Detar's life. After touring the world full-time, releasing five studio albums on both indie and major labels in a successful indie rock band with his childhood friends for ten years, he found himself with splintered musical attachments, changed life goals, and an uncertain musical future.

"Suddenly, the ride stopped and I was left sitting alone in a strange town with no new tours or album. I didn’t know where I belonged in the world,” says Detar.

After two failed musical collaborations, a loss of belief in himself and, ultimately, a decision to "quit music," Detar found himself in a deep depression and without an outlet in the (ironically) always sunny side of life, Los Angeles. Save, however, for a small pocket-sized recorder that slowly began filling up with "throw away song ideas."

“I never gave those tapes much consideration until late one night after having a few drinks in the hills by Lake Hollywood. I listened [to them] and realized I had a sizable collection of the most honest, soul-baring songs I’d ever written...I had never listened to them because I had myself convinced I wasn’t a songwriter any more. Something about that night, though, changed my mind.”

Call it salvation in the bottom of a Maker's Mark bottle (or perhaps Merle Haggard's wise words to "drink up and be somebody" echoing in his mind), somehow, Detar convinced himself to put the pieces together for what was eventually to become Bird In The Tangle.

Armed with over 50 songs, written in a powerful, yet disarmingly vulnerable singing voice on an acoustic guitar, Detar headed down to Nashville. Working with Pete Young (known for his work with Loretta Lynn), Brett recorded the entire album live in a whirlwind three days with some of Music City's finest session musicians."

Source: Brett Detar


No comments:

Post a Comment