Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Vinyl Vixen




"I always tell the girls, never take it seriously, if you never take it seriosuly, you never get hurt. If you never get hurt, you always have fun, and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends. "
- Penny Lane in Almost Famous

Everything always comes back to that movie. Here is an interview I did with a journalism student on my love for Vinyl:

Q: Why do you buy or listen to vinyl records? How many do you have and how often to you buy them?

A: There is something mystical about vinyl. Something about vinyl feels more authentic when you listen to it. The sound feels warmer and more inviting. I think with digital music we have lost the appreciation of the album and album art. With vinyl, you get to listen to the entire album. There is no need to skip from song to song, artist to artist, like you would in your itunes library. Vinyl has more focus on album art. I like vinyl because you get to hold something real in your hands.

I have over 100 records. A lot of them were given to me from my parents. I just started collecting vinyl on my own 2 years ago.
I usually buy a record a week. I live right buy an excellent record store so I stop in regularly to look through the discount bins.

Q: Where do you buy them? What are the stores like?

A: I buy records at Hertiage Music and Posters on 14th St. or at Hot Wax in Kensington. I also look for records at thrift stores like Value Village. Sometimes you can find some real gems.

Q: Do you buy old or new records? Or both?

A: I buy both used and new records. Older stuff is definatly cheaper to buy, but sometimes its neat to buy something newly release on vinyl. Overall, I would say my record collection is 80 % old, 20% new.

Q: Do you purchase CDs or digital copies of the vinyl albums as well, to put them on an mp3 player? Do any of the vinyl albums come with digital copies?

A: It really depends on the particular album whether or not I buy a digital copy of the vinyl album or not. Neil Young's album Harvest is one of my favourties so I have it on vinyl, cassette, CD and in my itunes library.

I haven't purchased any vinyl albums that have come with digital copies, but I do know that Arcade Fire's new album The Suburbs came with a digital copy. I think that is an excellent marketing idea to intice people to buy vinyl.

Q: Where did you get the record player to listen to the albums?

A: My dad had a record player from back in day, so I grew up listening to vinyl on that. Once I branched out on my own, I bought my own brand new turn table from The Source. I thought buying a new one was the best idea, rather than dealing with an old turntable that needs a new stylus or other parts replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment