Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Don't Want Your Crazy Heart...

I recently watched the film Crazy heart (2009) staring Jeff Bridges. This is a short impromptu take on the film:

This film I felt. I knew going into it that it was quality. It won Jeff Bridges an Academy Award.

I knew I was bound to bond with the western style/saloon singing/whiskey swigging character Bad Blake from the beginning. I love those type of stories. A washed out star, fuck up, has some type of addiction- drugs or booze- and then cleans up his life. It's played out so many times on film (the Wrestler, Walk the Line, etc) but it never gets old because it's real life.

When Bad fucks up and looses that small angel boy in the mall, I felt his panic. I took every drink with him. I threw up and passed out with him. And I also felt triumphant when he went to rehab and started writing songs again.

However, I felt the end was a tad rushed. It built up so much of his character, and then at the end it just seemed like the directors opted for a simple solution; he went to rehab, cleaned up and is himself again. I think these types of movies are always better when the character dies. I'm never satisfied with and ending like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment