Thursday, September 16, 2010

True Romance


I watched Requiem for a Dream
for the first time a few nights ago.
The film had a profound effect on me for days.
After finishing it, I had to go for a walk to clear my head.
I think I saw myself in all of the characters.
I think that I could easily slide into addiction if
I am not careful.
I connected with Sarah Goldfarb
I understand the loneliness of living on your own
in an apartment
and how you hold on to the one thing that makes
you happy.

I especially love the scene where
Leto and Connelly are lying on the ground
in the apartment after shooting up
and he tells her she is the most
beautiful girl he has ever seen.
That, in a nutshell, is
the romance of doing drugs.
That you will have these seductive
devastatingly, romantic moments
with the one/thing you love.
But the seduction fades
and the emptiness becomes reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment